For a Windows XP migration project to Windows 7, we were migrating VMWare Thinapp applications to Microsoft App-V applications. Most of the time, we’d use App-V 5.0 SP1 to build the sequence. However, there were some applications that made the App-V Sequencer become unresponsive during the monitoring process, as seen below.
To solve this, we used the App-V 5.0 SP2 Sequencer for those applications.
After the project was over, the customer obviously wanted to know which applications were done with SP2. I’ll be really honest here and say that we forgot to keep track of that. I took the issue upon myself and said I’d find out, while thinking “It should somehow be possible with PowerShell.”
Continue reading »
For a customer we’re creating a Windows 7 environment, using App-V 5.0 SP1 for application virtualization. We installed an English Windows with a Dutch MUI pack. All client types are installed unattended, including the App-V sequencer. We experienced a problem with the App-V sequencer which was caused by the MUI language pack.
After the installation of the new sequencer everything seemed to work fine. That is until I made the first package on the machine. The moment I clicked Save, an error popped up saying that the MSI couldn’t be generated. Continue reading »
For one of our customers I was asked to troubleshoot an application that exports data to several file types, including Microsoft Excel’s XLS file type.
The client runs Citrix XenApp 5 on Windows Server 2003 (x86). All user homedrives are mapped to the H-drive.
The application lets you perform queries on your Oracle database, analyze and format the results and prepare those for presentation. When the application exports an XLS-file to the H-drive, it freezes for 5 minutes and then responds normally again. However, when the same application exports a TXT- or CSV-file to the same drive, it freezes for just a few seconds.
Continue reading »