Lost iSCSI LUN capacity during HP agent installation

I was installing a HP agent (hpmgmt-8.3.1) and following a instruction i had used successfully before and during the installation  i made the snmpd.conf  so everything works as planed (that was wishful thinking) with enough empty chairs around me somebody cam and visit me yeb it was good old Murphy! I finish the installation tested the https://<hostname>:2381 site and it worked. But i am raised with Microsoft so i did a reboot. I did not watched the boot screen. I logged on to the Host using the virtual infrastructure client and went to the only datastore i had configured. En that’s when i noticed it  and i got sad! The datastore was empty when opening. So with some hope i click on the / and it went looking dot by dot by dot. You get the picture and finally a strange error.

First i looked at the other host that has this LUN published  but the same here. The virtual machines could not be management any more. So i went to the configuration tab en then to the storage adapter section and selected the iSCSI Software adapter. In the detail screen below the view i saw the LUN as it should be but ( there is always a but) i had a miss match with the size of the LUN i touch it should be around 600 GB but the ESX host said it was 0 GB He that is not nice! Where are my bits and bytes my virtual Machines? Fortunately this is not a production environment and is still under construction.

When i went in to the vmkernel log i found the following rules:

Jan 28 22:09:43 esx102 vobd: Jan 28 22:09:43.570: 3585102404us: [vprob.storage.connectivity.lost] Lost connectivity to storage device blablablabla. Path vmhba33:C0:T0:L6 is down. Affected datastores: "Store1_lab".
Jan 28 22:26:01 esx102 hpasmlited[2858]: Process has been instructed to stop from the user interface. Starting Shutdown process. . .
Jan 28 22:26:06 esx102 snmpd[2572]: Received TERM or STOP signal…  shutting down…
Jan 28 22:29:34 esx102 vobd: Jan 28 22:29:34.040: 4775572238us: [vprob.storage.connectivity.lost] Lost connectivity to storage device t10.9454450000000000000000003000000020A10000F0000000. Path vmhba33:C0:T0:L6 is down. Affected datastores: "StoreBlabla".

Oka my thoughts something went wrong with the installation of the HP agent 🙂 . but why must it ****** my datastore?  First i uninstalled the HP agent. How to do this is explained in the ./hpmgmt/831/README.txt of the unwrapped files of the HP agent in the installation directory.  next i rebooted the system. I still could not access my LUN and it still said it was 0GB.  when looking in the message log i found that i had a reservation conflicts on the SCSI bus. So i had an SCSI reservation issue that is locking the LUN. Because only two host have this LUN published and the environment is still under construction i reboot the other host to but no such luck.

when i googled reservation conflicted ESX and iSCSI the first hit was very useful he had a similar problem by a different cause. The key for unlocking is: Open the console and type:

vmkfstools -L lunreset /vmfs/devices/disks/<name of LUN>

The name of the LUN can be found in the View section of the iSCSI Software adapter. I sill don’t known for sure what the cause of my problem is. I think it has something to do with the storage agent start-up policy section in the installation of the HP agent. For now no agents on my HP DL 380 G5 host.

 

Was once an enthusiastic PepperByte employee but is now working elsewhere. His blogs are still valuable to us and we hope to you too.