Author: Ingmar Verheij
Last year I wrote an article about a smartcard (UZI pas) that couldn’t be used from a Windows CE 6 thin client in a Citrix XenApp environment. The problem seemed to be solved with a private client and installing Hotfix Rollup Pack 6 on the server.
Months later, when the customer started testing again, we discovered a new issue: The smartcard reader device disappeared from the session!
It took 4 months and 5 Citrix support engineers (Ross, Shane, Romulo, Brian and finally Anthony) before we solved the issue with an updated Citrix Receiver for Windows CE 11.05 (I’ve provided the files below).
Reproducing the problem
I was able to reproduce the problem with the following steps:
- 14.03.21] Open token administrator application (which shows the SC reader and state)
- 14.03.33] Opened test website (http://www.sbv-z.nl/diensten/bsnverifiren/)
- 14.03.35] Inserted the smartcard
- 14.04.10] Clicked on token administrator to get focus
- wait for it…
- 14.04.13] SC reader disappeared from token administrator
All tests are performed in the following environment:
HP Thin Client – t5540
- System Image – 6.05.655
- Windows CE 6
- Citrix ICA Client 11.02 build 121
- USB CCID Driver build 2
- Windows Server 2003 R2 x86
- Citrix XenApp 5, Hotfix Rollup Pack 06
- Web Interface v5.4
- Product name: SafeSign Standard
- Product version: 3.0.45
- TokenAdmin.exe: 184.108.40.2064
After building a private fix, an updated Citrix Receiver for Windows CE, we’ve received an official hotfix. I haven’t found the updated version on the Citrix website yet so I supply the file until Citrix tells me to remove it.
The required files can be downloaded here:
Just to add, the two files found in the 11.05 zip file need to be added to the 11.02 client, overwriting the previous versions. Please make a backup of the previous versions first!!
Was once an enthusiastic PepperByte employee but is now working at Citrix. His blogs are still valuable to us and we hope to you too.